Sr. Director, New Ventures R&D
Job Description SummaryThe Sr. Director will lead a multifaceted Platform Engineering organization comprising of Systems Architects, Hardware Design and Development teams, Software Development teams representing various product platforms and has a strong influencing role over the direction of all product platforms and projects in the New Ventures organization. The Sr. Director Platform Engineering will collaborate closely with his/her commercial colleagues to develop new innovative products that continue to reinforce or establish market leading product leadership position and also pursue high growth adjacent areas with new technologies in order to deliver category innovation.
The Sr. Director for New Ventures serves as a critical member of the MDS R&D and New Ventures Leadership Team, Portfolio Decision Team (PDT) and Innovation Council (IC), but also a key leader to drive cross-functional program execution for the ~$3.8 Billion Medication Delivery Solutions (MDS) business unit and BD Medical Segment ($8.5 billion).
The Sr. Director will lead a multifaceted Platform Engineering organization comprising of Systems Architects, Hardware Design and Development teams, Software Development teams representing various product platforms and has a strong influencing role over the direction of all product platforms and projects in the New Ventures organization. The Sr. Director Platform Engineering will collaborate closely with his/her commercial colleagues to develop new innovative products that continue to reinforce or establish market leading product leadership position and also pursue high growth adjacent areas with new technologies in order to deliver category innovation.
The Sr. Director Platform Engineering will lead successful execution of critical new to the world programs with ~40 associates across North America and Asia, and will have to build strong working relationships with multiple functions and VP/GMs of various product platforms. This leader will be very hands on when required, and also have the skills required to both evaluate and develop strong leaders on his or her team with capabilities that align to the strategy.
- Understanding Customer Use Cases/insights and Translating them into Strategic Product Ideas and Concepts
- A strong foundation in Human Factors and Industrial Design
- Functional Excellence in Electromechanical and Software Systems
- Innovation and Concept Development
- Systems Engineering & Verification
- Software Development including experience managing Firmware, Software, Cloud and Analytics Deployment
- Design and Development
- Design Verification and Validation
- Program Execution Management (from Idea to Market) and Project Execution Dashboards
- Strategic Review preparation
- Resource Management
- Adherence to GPDS, GPDS Processes (BD’s global product development process)
- Advanced Development Execution and Innovation Management partnership with the Chief Engineer and the Software Technology Solutions team.
- Good understanding of Technology Readiness Levels in Innovation Management
Primary Focus and Success Factors for role:
- Strategic partnerships (including contracting and outsource partners)
- Product development – design to commercialization
- Solutions focused, customer centric
- Design Control and Quality Focus
- Execution and Drive for Results
- Process excellence; Process expert and sharing best practices for project management
- Cross-function facilitation and execution
- People leader
- Drive and assertiveness + relational
- Global Product Development System
- Innovation Pipeline management
- Strategic Project Portfolio Prioritization and Goal Setting
- Functional and Technical Excellence
- Delivering results and ensuring timely and robust delivery of the product development portfolio.
- Collaborating with key functional partners such as Marketing and Medical Affairs to drive innovation inside existing markets and identify new growth and portfolio opportunities.
- Managing capital and operating budgets, setting/hitting key milestones, and upgrading organizational capabilities.
- Working closely with Marketing, Operations, Regulatory Affairs, Legal, and Finance, along with other BD entities such as BD Technologies, to ensure R&D plans and strategies are integrated with broader business unit and company activities.
- Attracting, developing, and retaining the strong team required to execute the strategic plan and provide for succession planning.
- The Sr. Director Platform Engineering, is expected to lead and support activities in the following categories:
- New Product Development: responsible for the next generation of products including execution of ideas and concept to advance/augment existing product portfolios. Ensure technical rigor, governance structure and distributed phase gate structure.
- Innovation: feed the new product development funnel. Develop external relationships, understand the voice of the customer, market direction and technology direction while setting an aggressive pace.
- Champion for practical application of the Global Product Development System (GPDS) and improve the process for maximum effectiveness. Drive execution of product development activities that are cross-functional and multi-site. Instill discipline and process to the product development effort in order to provide timely completion of milestones, remain within budget, and foster innovation and teamwork throughout the company.
BD is seeking a special individual who has the ability to articulate a compelling overarching vision that is inspirational and is rooted in improving the lives of patients around the world. This leader needs to be very hands on in ensuring executional success by balancing both strategy and execution when required, but also has the skills required to evaluate and develop strong leaders on his or her team with capabilities that align to the strategy.
The Sr. Director Platform Engineering is expected to work closely with executives leading other businesses and functional departments to develop and execute well-reasoned, comprehensive plans. This role will be responsible to meet effectively the Company’s objectives for product development, as well as those targeted for licensing and/or acquisition. The successful candidate must be capable of assuming leadership of a large, distributed cross-functional team, directing it to reach progressive milestones in a cost effective and timely manner.
The successful candidate will have a proven record of product development and leadership in the medical device industry with a minimum of fifteen years of experience and at least ten of those in R&D leading a complex product portfolio for a $1B+ business from an engineering design standpoint, and prior demonstrated experience of leading a team of at least 50+ engineers/scientists. S/he should be comfortable with the execution of all aspects of product development including design, development, verification and validation and other issues relevant to the final commercialized product.
The candidate must have solid R&D experience employing modern, lean product development methodologies including a strong focus on User Experience and Design, Software Development methodologies across large multi-disciplinary teams.
The candidate will have a reputation and record of effective collaboration with peers, subordinates and superiors as well as outside advisors and customers. S/he should also have a demonstrable history of actively partnering with the clinical community to capture and develop new product ideas, as well as to help understand and communicate key technological advancements. The candidate will have earned an undergraduate degree, preferably in engineering. An advanced degree will be advantageous.
The candidate must be an effective team builder, able to bring out the best in people through both coaching and by example; he/she must cultivate R&D leaders at the next level who can do the same. S/he must be an excellent communicator who radiates compassion, integrity and loyalty to BD and respective customers, employees and shareholders.
The following skills and abilities are requirements for the role:
Critical Skills and Competencies
This role requires excellence in the following critical competencies:
- Innovation Mindset: Demonstrated capabilities to drive innovation and establish an innovation pipeline, by thinking holistically about the portfolio and setting into motion efforts to deliver on such a broad-based Innovation portfolio with a strong customer focus.
- Strategic Thinking: Proven capabilities leading strategic planning efforts within R&D and contributing to strategic planning efforts at a business unit and enterprise level. Demonstration of both strong technical skills and good business acumen – the ability to connect R&D efforts to a broader business strategy.
- Collaboration and Influence Skills: Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a wide array of constituencies, including business peers, technical experts throughout the company, and outside partners. Excellent interpersonal skills, and be able to vary their style effectively to influence people in different situations.
- Change Leadership: A proven leader – someone who is able to not only align a team, but to persuade people to think and act differently as the company evolves. A strong communicator, able to identify the right “levers” to influence both team members and non-direct reports in order to get results.
- Results Orientation: A track record of delivering results. Proven ability to set stretch targets and deliver multiple projects, on time and on budget. Inspire others to get the best from their people, and willingness to take steps to make processes more effective and efficient.
- People Development: Able to attract, develop, and retain a strong team. An effective coach and mentor, using both individual input and leveraging company HR processes to build a strong bench.
Leadership Success Factors:
- Ability to bring trust, eliminate silos, drive transparency in communication and be viewed as a role model in displaying the Win as One BD leadership commitment.
- Ability to drive and execute program deliverables in a complex, large R&D organization.
- Trusted and effective communicator
- Balance functional and business requirements (matrix structure) with a bias towards customer centricity
- Good clinical practices and product development compliance
- Solutions oriented; understands full product lifecycle management
- Zero tolerance for defects (product quality); strong emphasis on compliance
- Managerial courage – engages in debate and decisive
- Global - Builds organizational relationships on a global scale, drive global integration
- Cross functional partnership to design, develop and commercialize a product; “Integrator mindset”
- Operates across multi-locations seamlessly
- Demonstrated agility and willing to be mobile
- Personal commitment to the mission of BD and engaging leadership to inspire leaders and associates to higher performance
- Disciplined in assumption and metric-based decision making;
- Exceptional quantitative, analytical, written, verbal skills;
- High technical capability in medical device software;
- Ability to develop and present complex business reviews/presentations; provide clear thinking;
- Powerful influencing skills with ability to gain support from all levels of organization while overcoming barriers to progress;
- Strong cross-functional leadership with a proven ability to work within a matrix environment
- Self-driven and highly collaborative; high personal accountability;
- Possessing and displaying credibility and relevant knowledge to diverse audiences
- Operates on the basis of trust and generates engagement with the team & individuals on the basis of open dialogue;
- Drives the “crucial conversations” about identifying gaps in performance and confronting low/marginal performance
An Undergraduate degree in Computer Science engineering is required; an MS or Doctoral degree is preferred and an MBA desirable.
Compensation will comprise of base salary, annual performance bonus, full benefits, and relocation assistance, if necessary.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Recommanderà un ami
Approbationdu Présiden et Chef de la direction
«Nous sommes une entreprise qui vise des résultats concrets et où nos associés s’emploient chaque jour à améliorer les soins de santé. De nombreuses initiatives sont en cours pour faire de BD un leader mondial des technologies médicales.»
Anonyme, Franklin Lakes, NJ