Scientist I, Chemistry Development
Job Description SummaryDescription summary:
BD Biosciences, a segment of Becton, Dickinson and Company, is one of the world’s leading businesses focused on bringing innovative tools to life science researchers and clinicians. Its product lines include: flow cytometers, cell imaging systems, monoclonal antibodies, research reagents, diagnostic assays, and tools to help grow tissue and cells. BD Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Sirigen, Inc. is a subsidiary of BD Biosciences and produces polymeric reagents for use in Flow Cytometry and other biological applications.
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
Serve as a process development chemist supporting the development of water soluble fluorescent dyes. Individual will report into the Supervisor of the Process Development team and will primarily support the prototyping and scaling of development materials. Responsibilities include purification, analysis, and post-modification of water-soluble dyes in addition to aliquoting, packaging and documentation of development materials. Individual must be comfortable working in cross-functional teams under defined deadlines. Strong oral and written communication skills are required and experience in inventory system is helpful. The successful candidate will have experience with small molecules, organic synthesis, and macromolecule separations with excellent attention to detail and ability to follow standard, documented processes.
- Perform a variety of water-soluble dye processing, purification and characterization steps to support the generation of new products
- Purification using common biochemistry techniques (filtration, SEC, etc.)
- Documentation of fluorescent dyes in technical reports and company databases to support the Process Development team
- Accurately dispense materials into standard packaging under inert conditions
- Prepare outgoing materials and supporting (QC) documentation
- Remove solvent via rotary evaporation and/or lyophilization
- Characterize fluorescent dyes using IEX/SEC chromatography using established standard processes
- Perform small scale dye labeling reactions according to established standard processes
- Perform established reactions to convert/activate functional groups on final polymers
- Characterization of polymers by HPLC/FPLC using established standard processes
- Provide assistance as needed to maintain functioning laboratory; including glassware cleaning, material ordering, inventory control and other duties.
Minimum Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic laboratory skills
- Ability to follow established chemistry reaction protocols and standard processes
- Practice in using rotary evaporator preferred
- Basic experience with UV/Vis and/or fluorescence spectroscopy preferred
- Experience operating FPLC/HPLC/IEX equipment using established protocols preferred
- Documentation in lab notebooks, checklists and basic databases
- Familiarity with lyophilization and/or Tangential Flow Filtration methods a plus
- Strong attention to detail
- Works in a team based environment
- Multi-task to cover a variety of job functions
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to independently perform and analyze data and identify issues in routine tests
- Familiarity with operation of routine laboratory instruments and applicable software
Education and Experience:
- Typically requires BS in Chemistry or similar Life Science subject area Typically requires minimum of 2 years of experience in a laboratory setting
Click on Apply if this sounds like you!
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Employment at BD is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are or will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego (BDB)
Recommanderà un ami
Approbationdu Présiden et Chef de la direction
«Nous sommes une entreprise qui vise des résultats concrets et où nos associés s’emploient chaque jour à améliorer les soins de santé. De nombreuses initiatives sont en cours pour faire de BD un leader mondial des technologies médicales.»
Anonyme, Franklin Lakes, NJ