VP/GM Point of Care Business, LS
Job Description Summary
The VP/GM is accountable to the EVP & President, Life Sciences Segment for strategic, operational, and financial performance of the Point of Care business to position it at the forefront of the industry. This position serves as a key integrator of the BDX 2025 Strategy and the Point of Care, Diagnostics and COVID response strategy. Entrepreneurial and engaging in style, the incumbent is expected to develop a strategic plan by engaging the team in fact-based honest discussions to advance the Company’s vision, culture and objectives and accelerate Y-O-Y profitable growth of the product and solutions portfolio. This role is responsible for innovation leadership for their respective portfolios. The leader will build, empower and engage highly accountable customer-focused teams to drive organic growth and inorganic investments. The leader is also responsible for setting the proper tone from the top, and maintaining the highest levels of ethical, legal, and regulatory compliance. This person is a member of the WW BD Leadership Team and the Life Sciences Leadership Team. He/She will work with the function leaders within IDS (as a key interdependent Business Unit) to conceptualize and execute the Point of Care business growth agenda.
Strategy, Growth, and Innovation
- Develop and implement growth strategies that will further drive POC’s market position by proactively soliciting and synthesizing customer needs, competitive intelligence and evolving market and policy trends
- Continuously seeks new or improved product, technology and service innovations and translates them into organic and inorganic growth opportunities
- Establishes the ASR and budgets, determining forecasts and delivering on the financial performance of the business jointly with regional business leaders and the worldwide LT
- Works seamlessly across BD’s businesses, geographies, and functions to drive strategy, growth, and innovation
External Customer Focus
- Establishes multilevel relationships with relevant customer base and including government, key opinion leaders and payors/funding authorities, at national and key regional levels. Represents the company in industry associations, health care advisory boards and other bodies which influence health care opinion, policy, and practice
- Adopts a long-term perspective about the business relative to customer needs and the competitive environment. Develops hypotheses or alternative scenarios of how critical issues will play out beyond the year and uses these to set challenging goals with a future payoff
- Requires all actions within the business to be sensitive to and linked to the potential impact on our customers. Sets a personal example and business standard to be “in touch” with customer needs, trends and concerns and benchmarks performance against best in industry
Process, Operating and Execution Effectiveness
- Ensures that the business has a dynamic operations strategy to complement the business strategy
- Challenges status quo on key processes and champions candid strategic discussions and decisions on process improvement with functional leaders and process owners using meaningful metrics and data to drive decisions
- Drives decisions in the organization that demonstrate commitment to process effectiveness, zero tolerance to non-compliance and simultaneously enable the organization to take more considered risks
- Leads and owns POC’s talent agenda by ensuring that the team builds capabilities to deliver on the business strategy in both the short and the long term
- Champions the acquisition of talent from both internal and external sources.
- Ensures strong alignment between associate capabilities and competencies with proper assignments/positions. Puts best associates on most important initiatives.
- Leads the HR Planning process to identify, coach, mentor, and provide challenging
development opportunities for BD’s future leaders and champions. Exports talent to
broader BDX organization.
- Leads and champions the efforts to build a more inclusive and diverse leadership pipeline
- Leads cultural change necessary to deliver on our envisioned future.
- Engages associates by building an environment where trust, empowerment and
accountability are daily demonstrated values.
- Drives high performance in every business environment. Establishes a culture of
meritocracy which rewards associates and teams for performance which significantly
contribute to furthering the business's growth strategy.
- Develops communication mechanisms and equally importantly, sets expectations to
ensure key leadership messages regarding performance, culture and recognition are
broadly understood throughout the organization.
- Leads team through fact-based, honest discussions about the environment, POC’s
direction, capabilities, plans, and investments needed to succeed in the marketplace.
- Establishes a regular cadence of ensuring a pulse check on engagement and leads
engagement across levels using vehicles such as skip level engagement meetings etc.
- Positions the business for success globally - developing, tailoring and adapting value propositions to maximize global relevance and value creation.
- Synthesizes knowledge of key markets/customers around the world into a coherent business strategy. Leverages BD's global footprint/capabilities while optimizing business solutions and their delivery locally.
- Grows and develops the WW Business Team and broader organization - sourcing the best talent, identifying the greatest opportunities, developing skills and capabilities, maximizing limited resources and identifying new technologies, wherever they may be around the globe, for the benefit of the WW business and company.
- BA / BS degree required; advanced degree (e.g., MBA) highly preferred
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of 20 years progressive leadership experience, with key roles in Medical Technology, Life Science, Pharma/ BioTech industries preferred.
- Demonstrated effective P&L management.
- Cross-functional innovation leadership experience.
- Experience in Marketing (platform leadership, Business Development (managing alliances and strategic partnerships) is also desirable.
- Strong global perspective gained through effectively working in a matrixed global environment. Understands global healthcare markets and competitive environment -- developed and emerging.
- Strong external orientation focusing on customers, policy makers and regulators.
- Strong talent development and performance track record.
- Agile learner with growth mindset
- Champions inclusion & diversity
Knowledge of Specific Procedures/Practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of business finance, strategy planning, strategic marketing & sales, product development processes, operations, logistics and people processes/practices
- High awareness of company policies, procedures and policies (for internal candidates).
Complexity of the Role
- Building key global relationships – internal and external
- Ability to manage multiple priorities-Platforms/Geographies/Functions
- Ability to manage differing opinions to drive greatest success for the business
Ethics and Compliance
- Lives our values: We treat each other with respect; we always seek to improve; we do what is right; we accept personal responsibility.
- Strong, demonstrated business ethics.
Employment at BD is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are or will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego - Road to the Cure
Additional LocationsUSA MD - Sparks - 26 Loveton Circle
Recommanderà un ami
Approbationdu Présiden et Chef de la direction
«Nous sommes une entreprise qui vise des résultats concrets et où nos associés s’emploient chaque jour à améliorer les soins de santé. De nombreuses initiatives sont en cours pour faire de BD un leader mondial des technologies médicales.»
Anonyme, Franklin Lakes, NJ