Staff Packaging Engineer
Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
Our vision for MDS at BD
Medication Delivery Solutions (MDS), with ~$4B in annual revenues, is the largest Business Unit (BU) across BDX. MDS products are crafted to optimize medication delivery and include vascular access devices (peripheral and central IV catheters, acute dialysis catheters, port access, and mentorship technologies), vascular management systems (flush, disinfecting caps, vascular skin antisepsis, dressing, and stabilization devices), hazardous drug handling and testing solutions, infusion specialty disposables (IV sets, connectors), injection systems (hypodermic needles and syringes, enterals, anesthesia needles and kits, sharps collectors), and BD Intelliport™ (for clinical medication management).
About the role:
The Staff Engineer will be part of Packaging Center of Excellence (CoE), responsible for developing and implementing new packaging designs following the established design control processes and procedures, focusing on identifying and deploying new technologies, new designs and innovative ideas to improve packaging performance, user experience and business outcomes. This role will require close communication and coordination across the organization, with R&D, Marketing, Regulatory, Medical Affairs, Manufacturing and Business Development. The incumbent is encouraged to extensively leverage external packaging ecosystem including academic, external labs, industry suppliers, packaging industry professionals.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Own the design, development and qualification of packaging systems for new and existing products which may include feasibility studies, sealing and/or forming characterization, process development and design verification
- Support Packaging CoE portfolio innovation pipeline through research, conceptualization, collaboration, development, and execution.
- Translate customer needs into engineering requirements leading to specific packaging, and process specifications.
- Implement DFSS throughout the design selection and development process, demonstrating and deploying empirical, statistical and analytical tools which will improve design decisions and reduce design iteration cycle times.
- Assess manufacturability of new designs, development of packaging processes, selection and justification of the appropriate capital equipment and changes to existing packaging designs and processes; Develop and execute packaging strategies for optimizing equipment usage and operational efficiency
- Collaborate with R&D, Project Management and other cross-functional partners to drive timelines and accountability for sustaining engineering, new product development, innovation and cost reduction initiatives
- Provide senior technical leadership, advanced engineering skills, and project management skills toward development and execution of technology strategy and roadmap within the packaging design area. Mentor junior members in the organization.
- Follow all local, state, federal, and BD safety regulations, policies, and procedures; along with BD quality practices and processes.
Education and experience required:
Employment at BD is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are or will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Packaging, Mechanical, Materials Engineering or a related Science/Engineering field is required. A post-graduate degree (MSc or PhD) is preferred.
- At least 6 years of proven experience in Medical Device and/or Pharmaceutical industries is required
- Expertise in Medical Device Packaging, test methods, standards and processes, including verification and validation experience of flexible and rigid packaging applications
- Thorough knowledge of the following standards: ISO 11607, ISO 13485, ASTM, cGMP and FDA validation methodology
- Knowledge of stage gate product development process preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in relevant computer aided design (CAD) tools is required.
- In-depth understanding of statistical tools including descriptive statistics, hypothesis testing and analyses of variance is required. DMAIC or DFSS certification strongly desirable.
- Solid understanding of disciplined product development processes, regulatory and quality requirements, high-volume manufacturing practices.
- Experience of driving decisions within highly matrixed, cross-functional teams.
- Preferred DOT, IATA and IMDG regulations for the shipment of hazardous materials
Click on Apply if this sounds like you!
All applicants should complete the on-line application process. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you require assistance or an accommodation because of a disability to participate in the application process, please call 855-BD-HELPS (855-234-3577) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA IL - Vernon Hills
Additional LocationsUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes, USA UT - Salt Lake City, USA UT - Sandy
Work ShiftUS BD 1st Shift 8am-430pm (United States of America)
Recommanderà un ami
Approbationdu Présiden et Chef de la direction
«Nous sommes une entreprise qui vise des résultats concrets et où nos associés s’emploient chaque jour à améliorer les soins de santé. De nombreuses initiatives sont en cours pour faire de BD un leader mondial des technologies médicales.»
Anonyme, Franklin Lakes, NJ