VP, R&D Surgery
Job Description Summary
Surgery is a business unit within the Becton Dickinson Interventional segment with sales revenue exceeding $1.4 billion dollars globally. The WW Vice President R&D, BDI Surgery will lead the 150+ R&D organization supporting the business and functions in Lexington, MA, Warwick, RI, and Vernon Hills, Surgery has four distinct platforms (Advanced Repair & Reconstruction, Biosurgery, Infection Prevention and V Mueller Instruments) with budget oversight for all R&D expenditures across these platforms. The WW VP R&D, Surgery will serve as a member of the Global Surgery Leadership Team, Portfolio Development Team, the BDI R&D Leadership Team and the BD R&D leadership Team. Key focus areas will be developing and executing the NPD pipeline from ideation through commercialization, driving innovation processes and intellectual property growth, supporting inorganic NBD initiatives from diligence through integration, and collaborating across all BU functions to ensure an effective stewardship of NPD and successful commercialization of new products.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Refining the Surgery R&D strategies, and contributing Surgery’s overall strategy, through the evaluation of new business opportunities, technologies, and possible acquisition targets. Keeping abreast of state-of-the-art technology within the industries through participation in professional organizations and conferences.
- Initiating and directing research and development programs for effective introduction of new products, services and processes consistent with the Surgery strategic plans. This includes managing capital and operating budgets, setting/hitting key milestones, and upgrading organizational capabilities.
- Being an active and driving voice in the Surgery WW LT Team, the BDI R&D Leadership Team and the BD R&D Leadership Team.
- Working closely with Marketing, Operations, Medical Affairs Regulatory Affairs, Legal, and Finance, along with other BD entities such as BD COEs, to ensure R&D plans and strategies are integrated with broader business unit and company activities.
- Attracting, developing, and retaining the strong team required to execute the strategic plan and provide for succession planning.
- Leading cross-functional integration of plans and resources for product and technology portfolios, and initiating and facilitating portfolio reviews chaired by the unit president and attended by the business’s worldwide leadership team. The successful candidate is also the owner, leader and facilitator of the cross-functional product and technology development processes.
- As a member of the R&D Leadership Team (RDLT) will support initiatives and investments in technology and product development excellence.
The successful candidate must play a key leadership role in driving significant on-going change to improve product and technology development in processes, skills and competencies, organizational design, cultural advancement, and cross-functional integration.
The ideal candidate for this position would possess the following critical competencies:
- Strategic Thinking: The successful candidate must have proven capabilities leading strategic planning efforts within R&D and contributing to strategic planning efforts at a business unit level. The job requires both strong technical skills and good business acumen – the ability to connect R&D efforts to a broader business strategy.
- Collaboration and Influence Skills: The successful candidate must have demonstrated the ability to work effectively with a wide array of constituencies, including business peers, technical experts throughout the company, and outside partners. He/she must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to vary their style effectively to influence people in different situations.
- Change Leadership: The successful candidate must be a proven leader – someone who is able to not only align a team, but to persuade people to think and act differently as the company evolves. He/she will be a strong communicator, able to identify the right “levers” to influence both team members and non-direct reports in order to get results.
- Results Orientation: The successful candidate must have a track record of delivering results. They will have proven they are able to set stretch targets and deliver multiple projects, on time and on budget. They will get the most from their people, and will take steps to make processes more effective and efficient.
- People Development: The successful candidate will be able to attract, develop, and retain a strong team. They will be an effective coach and mentor, using both individual input and leveraging company HR processes to build a strong bench.
- Culture Development: The successful candidate will be responsible for creating an environment where innovation is fun and teams feel comfortable to challenge each other to achieve. We do what is right to achieve excellent results.
- Drive Consistency: The successful candidate must have proven capabilities of setting clear expectations and consistently driving the organization to achieve those expectations month after month.
EDUCATION: Minimum education required to perform duties.
- Degree in engineering or life sciences required. Advanced degree in engineering or life sciences desirable.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum years required, both inside and outside, company, to perform duties.
- Ten years of progressively responsible broad management experience in research and development (healthcare devices or in-vitro diagnostics desirable).
- Demonstrated success creating environments where Innovation can flourish.
- A history of leveraging technology to bring growth products to market.
- Comprehensive knowledge through experience of related disciplines, cost reduction programs, capital and operations budgeting, product portfolio management.
- Broad view of new technology.
- Demonstrated success creating and leading empowered, high-performing teams.
Primary Work LocationUSA RI - Warwick
Recommanderà un ami
Approbationdu Présiden et Chef de la direction
«Nous sommes une entreprise qui vise des résultats concrets et où nos associés s’emploient chaque jour à améliorer les soins de santé. De nombreuses initiatives sont en cours pour faire de BD un leader mondial des technologies médicales.»
Anonyme, Franklin Lakes, NJ