Director, R&D Strategy Realization
Job Description Summary
HYBRID - Works 3 days in the Sparks, MD
We are the makers of possible
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world. Advancing the world of health™ is our Purpose, and it’s no small feat. It takes the imagination and passion of all of us—from design and engineering to the manufacturing and marketing of our billions of MedTech products per year—to look at the impossible and find transformative solutions that turn dreams into possibilities.
We believe that the human element, across our global teams, is what allows us to continually evolve. Join us and discover an environment in which you’ll be supported to learn, grow and become your best self. Become a maker of possible with us.
We are now recruiting for a Director of Strategy Realization – IDS R&D. The IDS R&D Team’s ambition is to transform medical discovery, diagnostics, and delivery of care to our patients. The team is reimagining the foundations and future of R&D at the Specimen Management (SM) and Diagnostics Solutions (DS) Business Units (BU’s) to enhance BD’s position as an industry leader in providing enhanced, efficient, affordable, and accessible health outcomes.
Reporting to the Vice President of Strategic Realization Office (SRO) – IDS, the Director of Strategic Realization will serve as a critical member of the IDS R&D Leadership Team which serves BD’s $3.6 billion DS and SM Business Units. The leadership team aims to lead and advance diagnostic stewardship from the collection of samples through result to inform patient care.
The Director of Strategy Realization is accountable for developing and executing an IDS R&D 10-year strategic roadmap, and leading cross-functional teams to drive transformational change in the following areas:
- Deliver R&D Strategy and ASR24 in alignment with 10-year BU outlook
- Assist in designing effective methods to drive servant leadership & systematic team empowerment
- Change R&D Operating Model to streamline and simplify high-quality work
- Build out Innovation priorities and operating model in alignment with BU strategy & ASR plans
- Drive review of Sustaining R&D to focus on vital few while retiring Technical debt & compliance risk
- Deliver R&D capability/footprint roadmap and oversee year 1-2 of execution
- Implement VOA-aligned mechanisms to enable a culture of community and connection by engaging associates’ passion and creativity
These transformational change areas, along with related activities, are expected to yield breakthrough achievements in strategy, next-level R&D, sustaining, new product development (NPD), and innovation. The incumbent, together with a cross-functional team, will lead a scaled, multi-year, agile programmatic effort. The role is critical to the successful development of the IDS R&D 10-Year Strategy and accordingly, requires significant leadership and business acumen capabilities.
Reports To: VP, IDS Strategy Realization Office (SRO)
Sphere of Influence (liaison): Diagnostic Solutions Business Leaders, Specimen Management Business Leaders, all IDS R&D teams (600 associates), all functional leaders and associates engaged in enterprise R&D teams or activities and the R&D Leadership Team, including Strategy Realization Office (equivalent to PMO), R&D Engineering, Lab Automation, Informatics & Integrated Solutions, Specimen Management R&D, Microbiology R&D, Molecular Assay R&D, Research and Innovation, System Engineering
Functions: IDS Medical & Scientific Affairs, IDS HR, IDS Finance, IDS Business Process Excellence, TGS, Regulatory Affairs, Quality, ISC, Technical Services and all other NPD-related functions
Regions – Worldwide IDS R&D in the USA, Canada, UK, the Netherlands, India. Affiliated IDS R&D partners within BDX global R&D such as EPMO, BDTI, SMTI. External CRO’s, R&D collaborators & consultants, flexible workforce providers and ecosystem partners
Financial impact: Impacts $3.6B IDS business performance, especially long term growth, Product Vitality, R&D Productivity, cost of sustaining existing products, Manufacturing COPQ and OCOS
People management: This position does not have people management responsibility and accountability.
What you will do:
- Oversee creation of a multi-year initiative to reimagine the foundations and future of R&D at IDS
- Serve as a trusted advisor and thought partner for R&D leadership, the Transformation SteerCo, transformation teams and other cross-functional stakeholders
- Define and oversee outcomes and metrics to execute strategy in Agile (Scrum) sprints
- Serves as an integrator across DS and SM R&D and IDS-wide transformation efforts
- Employ appropriate methodologies to engage and inspire the transformational change movement
- Establish and lead communication plan to drive consistency and transparency
- Engage a broad cross-section of functional leaders and associates as transformational change agents and allies
Here’s what you’ll need (Preferred qualifications):
- Experience medical device / MedTech / biotechnology industry, with proven experience in leading cross-functional project teams in a highly matrixed environment
- Master’s degree in a management, technical, or engineering field.
- Certified in project management, agile, and/or lean methodologies not limited to SAFe or Disciplined Agile.
Here’s what you’ll bring to the table (preferred qualifications):
- Strategic, big-picture thinker with experience leading transformational change. Demonstrated proficiency and achievements in change
- High degree of executive presence: simplifying, storytelling, translating big picture to execution and content-oriented metrics, aligning senior executives on ambitious but realistic objectives.
- Demonstrated strong leadership with enterprise mindset, learning agility, networking and negotiation skills and collaborative approach to deliver business results.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to deliver a compelling narrative/message to senior stakeholders in the organization.
- Demonstrated proficiency and achievements in change management and related best practices.
- Strong ability to influence without authority across a large, multifaceted organization.
- Cultivate collaboration with IDS business leaders and all levels of cross-functional stakeholders and team members to drive high-impact improvements in productivity, efficiency, capability, and scalability.
- Passion for mentoring and coaching project team members to uplift team capabilities.
- Demonstrated self-starter, critical thinker, highly motivated and creative team member.
For certain roles at BD, employment is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In some locations, testing for COVID-19 may be available and/or required. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Why Join Us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that encourages you to bring your authentic self to work. It’s also a place where we help each other be great, we do what’s right, we hold each other accountable, and learn and improve every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. You will have the opportunity to help shape the trajectory of BD while leaving a legacy at the same time. And through the organization’s investment in BD University, you will continually level up your tech skills and expertise.
To find purpose in the possibilities, we need people who can see the bigger picture, who understand the human story that underpins everything we do. We welcome people with the imagination and drive to help us reinvent the future of health. At BD, you’ll discover a culture in which you can learn, grow and thrive. And find satisfaction in doing your part to make the world a better place.
To learn more about BD visit https://bd.com/careers
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA MD - Sparks - 7 Loveton Circle
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ